Sunday, September 23, 2007

Stairs complete

I'm absolutely crazy about the exterior staircase. Another design coup by Noah of Jasonoah Design Build as far as I'm concerned. One of the very earliest concepts that evolved in my mind back in the beginning was flipping the traditional roles of upstairs and downstairs in our barn house. Instead of having the main living spaces on the first floor where we knew we would not have the views of the roof structure, we decided that we wanted the living spaces on the second floor where we could take advantage of the height, lofts, and exposed roof beams. Noah's innovation was both practical and aesthetic. By having the main access come in on the second floor we would not only save valuable space inside, but we would not have to bring our guests in through the "private" living spaces of bedrooms and bath. In the end what he gave us was a sculptural piece that will certainly be one of the most distinctive features of the exterior of the house.

The decking of the landing and the stairs is Brazilian mahogany - which I think is beautiful and offers a rich contrast to the gray exterior walls. I also like how you can see light through the cracks - kind of makes you feel like you're in a tree house...or on a ship, I guess. Both seem appropriate to me.

We decided to add a mahogany cap to the railing, and a more traditional hand rail on the inside for the kids.

The metal cladding is key. Great tie-in with the roof and completes the sculptural quality of the entire structure. Love it!

This shot gives you a good sense of the effect created by the single cement column which holds up the entire structure. The builder had to ask me if I was SURE this is how we wanted it -- given that it's just not how you typically support stairs. "Not typical" has become one of the most commonly uttered phrases around this job site...which I love. Of course, it's PERFECT. By having one singe column I think you can see that the effect is almost disconcerting. It certainly makes the whole thing "pop". Sure it's perfectly stable. Like other aspects of this project, it makes you stop and take a closer look.

No comments: